background

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hard Things

“We've got to learn hard things in our lifetime, but it's love that gives you the strength. It's being nice to people and having a lot of fun and laughing harder than anything, hopefully every single day of your life.” -- Drew Barrymore

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." -- JFK

Wow. I'm still growing up. And it's hard! Really, really hard sometimes. But I choose to do things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. From everything like school or dating to wearing modest clothes and acting appropriately, I can say that I can do hard things!

I had a high school English teacher who was fond of saying, "Yes, it's hard, but you can do hard things!" as she had an animated picture of the mythological Greek guy who had to push a rock up a mountain endlessly. High school was hard, but I did it! Freshman year of college was hard, but I did it! Right now, it's hard, but I can do it! I love accomplishing the hard things. I think I learn the most that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment